Name:
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Sunday, October 30, 2005

living with other people

I'm writing this feeling pretty annoyed. Somebody has "borrowed" my favourite starry mug. Like someone "borrowed" my plate. (This is no ordinary plate, but Whittard's plate. A Whittard's mug too). It did turn up today however, unwashed. Two weeks after whoever it was decided to "borrow" it. I don't want you to think that I'm stingy about people borrowing my stuff. But I don't like people going into my cupboard taking things without asking and then returning them two weeks later without even washing them.

The other thing that is annoying me is the filthiness of the kitchen. The girls I live with are sweet, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I wonder about the state of their family homes. There are onion peelings on the floor, sticky substances, moudly mushrooms... I ALWAYS wipe the sufaces if I leave a mess or pick up stuff if I drop it on the floor. But do they? NO! So, the question is, should I mop the floor? Should I clean up the mess to make me feel better? I don't even want to go into the kitchen these days... I don't even feel like cooking much either because it stinks!! Am I being too sensitive? Is my family just super-clean? (I don't think so.) It's my right to feel like cooking but I can't feel like cooking in that horrible kitchen!!!!!!

And, one more thing. I left loads of Japanese chocolate for my flatmates to eat whilst I was away... They ate it all up (believe me there was a lot of it). And then, I open the fridge today, and there's an ENORMOUS bar of Galaxy sitting there! Did anyone tell me to eat some of that?? No. I don't think so! Grr.

Yes, I am in a bad mood. Eight days of being sick does not do much for feeling cheery.

6 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I think you need to open a can of whup-ass on your mingy flatmates.

Well, maybe don't go that far, but I think you have a valid point. One course of action would be to mop up, but leave a note out (or just tell your flatmates) saying that you did it this time and they should all wipe up their own groo in future. Fetch the can-opener if they do it again.

It's always hard, this sort of stuff. People generally just have differing standards. Them taking your things, however, is not a grey area. You should have a go about that.

By the way, Topologist Now now has new content. There will be even more in future. Visit! Even if you don't have a clue who I am. (It would only be right: I have, after all, visited all them blogs on the left several times.)

8:25 PM  
Blogger jennywren said...

Richard, I just left a mean message on your Canadian friend's blog (I hope he isn't too angry). Did you see where I put that apostrophe? Yes, in the right place!

Please tell him I am not usually so mean (to people I don't know at least anyway).

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear your kitchen is in such a state--you know how much I hate that too!! But you gotta eat! Maybe try to talk to them about it or leave a note or something like that?

8:30 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

Don't worry about being mean on Dave's blog. It's par for the course round here. (Go to Room 4620 and check out the poll on the right to see just how mean we usually are.) The irritating thing is that he really doesn't care.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenny, I have a solution to your kitchen problem, get Wanyu and Kei down there. They will have the place sparkling in no time.

1:35 PM  
Blogger jennywren said...

Things are looking brighter today. Kate admitted to stealing my mug (for her boyfriend to use who surprised her by turning up unexpectedly from Ireland - having taken three trains and a ferry. How romantic!!! I will forgive her!

Plus, the cleaners have been in today and not only mopped the floor, but also POLISHED it. They must've heard me moaning or something.

But Wanyu (and Kei, although you don't read this) you're welcome anytime to come and clean up! haha. Or anyone else who feels like it!

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home