Name:
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Over the weekend I finished reading 'The Namesake' by Jhumpa Lahiri; a book I have been meaning to read for a very long time. I picked up a copy in the Tenement Museum when I was in New York~~ It tells the story of an Indian family struggling to adapt to life in the US... the story focuses on Gogol though, who manages to forge his own path in life despite the expectations of his parents. A never-ending struggle to keep old traditions alive as well as keep up with a changing society. After India, I meant to try to read more and understand Indian culture and tradition. I guess this book helped with that in some sense, although I think 'A Suitable Boy' will remain my favourite as far as India-themed novels are concerned. I really need to read more Vikram Seth...

I had my third and final induction day today at Aldercar... It was a good day; full of promise. I was asked, when observing a class, "Are you a real teacher?". My response, which I didn't think of at the time, should have been: "Are you a real boy?" Instead I told him, yes, of course I was a real teacher and lucky him to have the pleasure of me to teach him two weeks from today... erm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home