Name:
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Le fabuleux destin des steaks hachés disparus...

Ha, I got back from my trip last night and I went to prepare the steak hachés for tea that I had bought to replace the other ones that went missing, and these ones had gone as well!!! Why do my steak hachés keep getting stolen!! Well, I've learnt my lesson... I went grocery shopping today and bought no steak hachés, or anything frozen for that matter. I reckon it's Françoise, but I would feel so mean mentioning it to her, especially since she offered to drive me to the supermarket. I'd even written my name on the packet too. Hmm.

I just got back from town, having bought the next Lemony Snicket book (in French, bien sûr). I'm really addicted to those books... I guess I should be reading more intellectual stuff, like Satre or someone, but I'm always curious to know what's going to happen next to the Orphelins Baudelaire...

Well the mini-break was good, although I've definitely decided that travelling alone is no fun at all. It's much better to have someone with you to appreciate it with. Anyhow, I took the train from here to Auray, from where I took the bus to Quiberon, to take the ferry to Belle Ile (I just rememered that there was an article on Belle Ile in the Saturday Guardian a month or so ago). And, well, la Belle Ile, c'est vraiment beau! I spent the afternoon walking around the remparts of the old town, and getting lost, and then eating ice-cream, as usual. I then went to La Citadelle (photos to follow when I get back to my own computer), and then went to "check-in" at the auberge (which I can stay at for free - part of the deal of me being here). I was so tired from walking around all afternoon that I almost fell asleep at 7, but I managed not to, and forced myself to go and find a crêperie. Although, it never takes much persuasion to go and eat a crêpe ;-) I then fell asleep at 9.30 and slept for 10 hours!!!

Yesterday (birthday!) I ate breakfast (pépita and a brioche au sucre) by the port, waiting for the ferry. Took the ferry back to Quiberon, and then got the bus to Carnac to see the alignments. Very impressive. Bit of a much of a muchness after a while though, and you begin to see it all as just a lot of rocks, but it's cool nonetheless. I took "le petit train de Carnac" for a tour around the place, but it was pretty useless (the commentary just said things like "Look at these amazing rocks" and "aren't they wonderful!"). A bit of history would have been good. But the little train was well worth the 6 euros.

The kid behind me playing pool is talking to himself!

Got back to the hostel last night and the first thing that Jude said to me was "Il y a plus de courrier pour toi que pour l'auberge"! So thanks for the cards, guys. And thank you Fran for the huuuge box that I don't know how I'm going to get back home!!

Got to go now and work out how to sell my REM tix on eBay.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh you just reminded me how much i used to love Satre!!

i'm back in my room using my 'little black' to check your blog, and believe it or not, i'm quite excited to start working hard again! my stratford-upon-avon conference paper deadline is making me both nervous and excited about work!! (not looking forward to seeing my supervisor tho....)

3:19 PM  
Blogger jennywren said...

Yeh, the conference sounds really exciting!! I'm sure that you're supervisor will be fine... just don't tell him that you were away for 10 days instead of a week!!

3:26 PM  
Blogger jennywren said...

Ugh, I wrote you're instead of your. Ooops.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home