Name:
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Je suis allée en Corse



Long time, no blogging... Where has the summer gone? Only just over two weeks until the hard work starts again. Wish the summer would last forever!

I just spent a week travelling (I literally mean travelling, too!) on the island of Corsica. (By the way, I've been to France three times already this year. Not bad going really!) It's certainly beautiful, if somewhat touristy and full of Italians eating pizza, which I found rather odd (why eat French pizza when Italian clearly rules?). (Is this the French Tenerife?) And I don't even think we saw the most impressive parts.

You definitely need a car though, unfortunately. The public transport system is pretty thin on the ground (only one or two trains a day between the major 'cities') and basic... But I liked it. I liked the rattly old train that weaved its way through the mountains and past the goats chewing on grass. I even forgave the bus driver who wouldn't let me go to the toilet (since there wasn't one on the bus) as he kindly dropped us off at our campsite along the way to Calvi. We moaned a lot about dog poo, the smelliness, no public toilets (or if there were some, no lights/loo paper) and long queues, but I still do love France and would really like to go back and discover the real Corsica...

Here are a few snaps I took along the way:





These are some of the old buildings you can see in Nice in the old part. Nice was pretty chaotic - not really that impressed. But the moon shining over the sea was beautiful... I've never seen this before! (The picture's a bit rubblish though...)



Trying to keep cool in Calvi on our posh sunbeds...



Blueness... the sea around the citadelle...



This is where we stayed in Calvi. Possibly the cleanest campsite ever! We even managed to make cups of tea on our little stove here... (This was one of the best bits of the trip.)





We even spent time in a car park in Italy. (Yes, that's right. We did!)



A week is definitely too short. Next time, two weeks, a car, proper camping equipment and no lilo to carry in a Lakeland bag!

It was a good trip. Here's to more camping adventures!

13 Comments:

Blogger impermissible wanyü said...

i can't believe you said that moon photo's not good...

i love it so very much!!!

3:32 PM  
Blogger impermissible wanyü said...

what were you doing in the car park?

what was that book about _Les Désastreuses Aventures des orphelins Baudelaire, tome 8 : Panique à la clinique_? looks interesting! (not that i have the time and ability to try and read a French book though...)

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the sea looks really nice. I really wish that I had been able to go away for a holiday this year, but alas it looks as though I won't be able to get away until next year now.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Looks like you had fun! Nice one. I'm going to be in York briefly this weekend ... are you around?

Want my copy of the Guillemots album? I can't stand it!

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was really good fun.

Yes, I'm in York at the moment... I should also be in Sheffield sometime next week too. I heard you're going to be there looking for a place to live.

Ah, I have that album. I have a complicated story to tell you about how I almost didn't get that CD (all Amazon's fault.) Sorry you don't like it though~

Wanyu, the French book is a kid's book - part of the Lemony Snickey series. They're good!

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, about the car park... that's actually at Savona port in Italy.. Our ferry was diverted there as Nice port was closed to bad weather... Three countries (kind of!) in a week!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Wanchen said...

the colours of the house walls are very nice! and so are the orange sunbed and unbrellas!!

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wrenny! you're good at a lot of things and you're at the same time very very cool...and new things can sometimes be good too, bringing surprises bringing differences..

fear is maybe something that will always be there though, at least for now I think I have a lot of fear still...

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you know I don't like things changing... I made the decision to do this though so have to stick with that decision. I don't feel wise enough or competent enough to do what I'm doing. If I didn't think about it so much then maybe I wouldn't be so scared. I don't want to do it!

11:27 AM  
Blogger impermissible wanyü said...

wrenny, wrenny! do you sometimes play guitar/piano when you feel you think too much? I do...

I don't know any more whether I like changes, but sometimes when it's very sad to see things have changed I just have to learn to look away

ps. i went for a swim last night, and i think I swam for about an hour! now I've even remembered how to do backstrokes.. any chance we'll go swimming again? my boss is away the next week...

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, i don't always, but i probably should. good job i'll be taking that guitar to notts with me!

maybe we can fit in some swimming next week... going to be working at the races on wed and thurs though.... well done for swimming an hour - much better than me!

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at the races! take dr. Toyo with you, because that's one thing from the list of things he wants to do before he leaves York!

Thank you for taking me swimming! I promise this time I will try to remember how to go there on my own...

xx

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just to say it's excellent your sunday is good again and that you remember to say hello to richard from me and your parents too of course..

i want to see all of your photos and also hear you talk about camping properly because i've never done any camping!!!

have to properly chat soon face-to-face style!!!

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home