Name:
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Sunday, August 14, 2005

A Midsummer Night's Dream


Yesterday I went with some friends to see a production of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream at Kirkstall Abbey, Leeds. We thought it might be cancelled because of the rain (the stage was not under cover, although our seats were...). However, we got there, in the pouring rain, and took up our seats as the play was to go ahead as planned. So it began, the players gradually getting soaked, whilst we sat in comfort under the awning, sipping tea:) At one point the rain was so heavy that we could no longer hear what they were saying. The director eventually took pity on them and called a ten minute break... They continued for a while, and then, all of a sudden, as if by magic, the clouds dispersed and out came the sunshine!! Brilliant sunshine! So we watched one third in the rain, and the rest in the sun, and what a wonderful play it was too! OK, I'm no critic, but I enoyed the production (and as I told Carmen, maybe the first Shakespeare I really, truly enjoyed...). I tend to lose concentration quickly, and get lost in the plot, but I found this one easy to follow, mainly because it was so visual. I especially liked Demetrius (not his character, really, but his facial expressions) and I agree that Helena is a very brave character. I was surprised too to see a Coronation Street "star" as Hermia. (I think she was a good Hermia though.) And of course, the lion, the wall, and the dog were all hilarious. So, I spent a lovely afternoon with friends, in the lovely English sunshine (rare as it is), drinking tea and watching a wonderful play. When are we going to see The Taming of the Shrew??

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First the REM concert, and now Shakespeare, you seem to do well with going to see things in the rain!

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your facial expressions too.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home